POTASSIUM CHLORIDE ELSaad
Chemical Name:Potassium Chloride
Therapeutic Category:Fluids and Electrolytes
Pharmacologic Category:Electrolyte Supplement, Parenteral
Composition:Potassium Chloride 10% / 15% / 20%
Potassium Chloride 10 % (IV) ELSaad
- Potassium supplement to meet the patient’s daily needs in parenteral nutrition.
- Treatment of hypokalaemia and adjustment of potassium depletion, in case of severe disorders or when intake by enteral route cannot be achieved or is inadequate.
- Hyperkaliemia or any situation which may cause hyperkaliemia particularly: kidney failure, Addison’s syndrome , untreated diabetes except under strict control of potassium levels.
- Contra-indicated in combination with potassium-sparing diuretics
3-DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
Administered as a very slow intravenous injection or as intravenous infusion after dilution in a sodium chloride 0.9% or glucose solution or any other suitable diluent.
Parenteral nutrition: Must be adapted to patient’s needs. The usual daily food intake is about 65 mmol of potassium (i.e. 5 g of potassium chloride).
Hypokaliemia: Posology varies dependent upon the imbalance of patient’s potassium levels (electrolytes evaluation). In case of serious hypokalaemia (< 3.6 mmol/l), initiate treatment with a daily dose equivalent to 4 g of potassium chloride (52 mmol of potassium) over 24 hours under medical and biological supervision as a slow intravenous infusion after dilution with a glucose solution.
4-PRECAUTIONS FOR USE:
- Verify physical integrity of container.
- Inspect for clearance of the solution.
5-WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS:
- If hyperkalaemia occurs while KCI is administered, treatment should be discontinued In case of severe hyperkalaemia initiate a perfusion, either with bicarbonate solution, or concentrated glucose solution with insulin. In case of renal failure, purification through dialysis should sometimes be performed prior to discontinuing perfusion because of the risk of rebound hyperkalaemia.
- Contra-indicated in associations with Potassium-sparing diuretics: amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene: risk of potentially lethal hyperkalaemia particularly in patients with renal failure (except if hypokalaemia is present).
- Not recommended in associations with Conversion enzyme inhibitors: ): risk of potentially lethal hyperkalaemia particularly in patients with renal failure (except if hypokalaemia is present).
7-USE IN PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING:
Potassium chloride solution should be used during pregnancy and lactation only if necessary needed.
- Pain may be experienced at the site of injection.
- Risk of venous thrombosis in case of injection with highly concentrated solution.
- Risk of necroses in case of paravenous injection.
9-PACKAGING AND COMPOSITION:
10 ml Plastic container contains sterile solution of potassium chloride 10% that equivalent to 13.4 mMol/10ml of each chloride and potassium.
Osmolarity: 26.8 mOsmol/10 ml
pH ranging from 4 to 8
Store below 25 C and protect from light.